Table of Contents
Each is often prescribed in the treatment of a number of medical issues and is part of treatment plans.
Nonmedical use of any kind of steroid is not recommended by the medical community at large.
Illegal use of nonprescription steroids can result not only in legal troubles but banishment from sports and competitions.
Learning about common steroids involves being aware of steroid names, as well as the street names for steroids
Common Steroids Names
- What are Steroids?
- Steroid Cycles
- Steroid Results
- User Reviews
- How to Take Steroids
- Steroid Stacks
- Steroid Pills
- Liquid Steroids
- Injectable Steroids
- Steroid Alternatives
- Buy Steroids
- Side Effects
First, a brief description of the difference between an anabolic steroid and a corticosteroid.
Anabolic steroids are synthetic variations of the male hormone testosterone.
Testosterone is often considered a steroid by many because it has the characteristics and behaviors of steroids.
Anabolic steroids such as testosterone injections are often recommended for hormone replacement therapy in the treatment of hypogonadism, sexual disorders, impotence, and to reduce muscle-wasting (cachexia) conditions often seen with HIV, AIDS, and cancer patients.
Corticosteroids are considered a class of steroid hormones that are produced in the body, more specifically by the adrenal cortex.
Synthetic corticosteroids are often recommended in the treatment of skin disorders, asthma, lupus, and inflammatory conditions such as arthritis.
Common Steroid Names List
Prescription drugs are usually known by a brand name and a generic name if the drug is spent on the market long enough to go generic.
A brand-name drug can be manufactured generically after its patent expires.
Generic drugs, however, must have the same ingredients, dosage form, strength, and function as well as a fact as the brand name.
They don’t have to contain the same inactive ingredients.
When it comes to steroid drug names be aware that the generic term for a steroid can apply to numerous types of brands as well.
Following is a list of some of the most common steroids listed next to their steroid street names.
List of steroid drug names (brand/generic):
- Anadrol-50 (oxymetholone)
- Depo-testosterone (testosterone)
- Methitest (methyltestosterone)
- Axiron (testosterone)
- Androxy (fluoxymesterone)
- Oxandrin (oxandrolone)
Common street names for steroids :
- Gym Candy
- Weight Trainers
Street names for anabolic steroids are often used in non-medical environments, and familiarity with those is also recommended for anyone who has been prescribed the use of steroids for medical reasons.
This is also recommended for individuals such as athletes and bodybuilders who are looking to find, buy, and use steroids without a prescription.
Anabolic Steroids Facts & Statistics
Before even considering the use of steroids, know the basics regarding steroid facts.
The following list is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to steroids, their effect on the body, their potential side effects, and their risks of use.
Testosterone drugs with numerous esters are the most popular and common steroids prescribed in the US and include:
- Nandrolone decanoate
Steroids can have a huge impact not only on the hormone levels but the entire endocrine system.
Effects of steroids can have an impact on endocrine glands such as the pituitary, the thyroid, the adrenals, and sex glands (testes/ovaries), on metabolic functions, and on organ function including that of the liver and the heart.
Bodybuilders and athletes taking steroids street names without a prescription or the oversight of a physician often inject 10 to 100 times more potent dosages than recommended for medical use.
Among the most common short-term side effects of anabolic steroid abuse include those that affect mental and emotional health and wellness.
Extreme mood swings (‘roid rage), increasing sense of paranoia, irritability, and impaired judgment are unfortunately often seen with short-term and extreme steroid use.
Long-term effects of steroids on the body can involve severe and often permanent damage to the liver, the kidneys, and the heart.
High blood pressure, high low-density lipoprotein (LDL) levels in the body can increase the risk of heart attack and/or stroke, even in young individuals.
Scientific studies and clinical trials involving anabolic steroids names in regard to their nonmedical usage by bodybuilders and athletes to increase muscle mass, strength, and endurance have not produced significantly positive results when weighed against the potential for side effects.
Two such studies:
“Effects of anabolic-androgenic steroids on muscular strength,” concluded that effects may slightly enhance muscle strength in previously trained athletes.
“The effects of supraphysiologic doses of testosterone on muscle size and strength in normal men,” reported that supraphysiologic doses larger and more potent than naturally occurs
For example, these study participants received a dosage of 600 mg of testosterone enanthate on a weekly basis for 10 weeks (dosage six times higher than recommended for the treatment of hormone replacement therapy for hypogonadism).
They did show some benefits in body weight and composition, muscle size, and muscle strength – with an increased risk of side effects.
6 Best Anabolic Steroids For Bodybuilding
Common steroids for bodybuilding include:
When considering different steroid names, know the facts, do some research, and be aware of the benefits as well as drawbacks of common steroids, regardless of whether you’re using them for medical or non-medical reasons.
Be careful when using steroid street names on the black market so you know what you’re getting before you buy.
- Understanding Generic Drugs. US Food and Drug Administration.
- Anabolic Steroids Street Names: Arnolds, Gym Candy, Pumpers, Roids, Stackers, Weight Trainers, Gear, and Juice. Drug Enforcement Administration, Office of Diversion Control, Drug & Chemical Evaluation Section.
- Anabolic Steroid Fact Sheet. National Institute on Drug Abuse.
- Elashoff JD, Jacknow AD, Shain SG, Braunstein GD. Effects of anabolic-androgenic steroids on muscular strength. Ann Intern Med. 1991 Sep 1;115(5):387-93.
- Shalender Bhasin, M.D., Thomas W. Storer, Ph.D., Nancy Berman, Ph.D., Carlos Callegari, M.D., Brenda Clevenger, B.A., Jeffrey Phillips, M.D., Thomas J. Bunnell, B.A., Ray Tricker, Ph.D., Aida Shirazi, R.Ph., and Richard Casaburi, Ph.D., M.D.
The Effects of Supraphysiologic Doses of Testosterone on Muscle Size and Strength in Normal Men. N Engl J Med 1996; 335:1-7July 4, 1996.
- Trenton AJ. Behavioural manifestations of anabolic steroid use. CNS Drugs. 2005.
- FanghÃ¤nel G. [An update on the pharmacological therapy of the andropause]. Gac Med Mex. 2000.
- Drillich A. Androgen therapy in women: what we think we know. Exp Gerontol. 2007.
- Rohman L. The relationship between anabolic androgenic steroids and muscle dysmorphia: a review. Eat Disord. 2009.
- Suzuki H. [Synthesized androgens]. Nihon Rinsho. 2008.
- SÃ¸ndergaard EB. Characteristics and outcome of patients with heart failure due to anabolic-androgenic steroids. Scand Cardiovasc J. 2014.
- Riedmaier I. The analysis of the transcriptome as a new approach for biomarker development to trace the abuse of anabolic steroid hormones. Drug Test Anal. 2011.
- Fragkaki AG. Structural characteristics of anabolic androgenic steroids contributing to binding to the androgen receptor and to their anabolic and androgenic activities. Applied modifications in the steroidal structure. Steroids. 2009.