Knowing and understanding the specifics regarding Anavar half-life can make a big difference in dosage and how any synthetic anabolic androgenic steroid is used.
Dosage and frequency of dosage can have a huge influence on expected and positive results as well as unexpected side effects or adverse reactions.
The half-life of Anavar, or any drug for that matter, is also known as the “terminal” half-life or “biological” half-life.
This defines the amount of time that it takes for a drug or substance to lose approximately half of its physiologic or pharmacologic activity in the body.
A drug’s half-life has a huge influence on overdosage recommendations, how the drug is to be taken, and when it is to be taken to prove the most effective.
As with any drug, a number of factors can influence Anavar half-life that includes but not limited to the:
- Medical condition
- Hormone levels
Not all synthetic anabolic androgenic steroids have a similar half-life duration. For example (in approximations):
- Oral Anavar/oxandrolone – 9 hours
- Dianabol (methandrostenolone/methandienone/methandienone) – 4.5 to 6 hours
- Oral Winstrol/stanozolol – 9 hours
- Oral Anadrol/oxymetholone – 8 to 9 hours
- Deca-durabolin/nandrolone decanoate – 14 days
- Testosterone enanthate – 10.5 days
- Testosterone propionate – 4.5 days
As you can see, there’s a huge difference even among anabolic androgenic steroids in regard to their greatest potency or activity in the bloodstream.
Another aspect that has a huge influence over Anavar half-life, and the half-life of any drug, including anabolic androgenic steroids, is the ester attached to it.
Esters And Half-Life
The simplest way to describe esters is that they are components attached to a drug base that influences the rate of absorption or dissemination into the bloodstream.
In the anabolic androgenic steroid world, the most common esters and their half-life attached to base steroids include but are not limited to:
- Acetate – 3 days
- Enanthate – 10.5 days
- Propionate – 2 days
- Hexanoate – 9 days
- Decanoate – 15 days
- Undecanoate – 16.5 days
Bodybuilders and athletes choosing oral or injectable anabolic androgenic steroids are not only interested in their potency in regard to anabolic or tissue-building properties but in their half-life.
The longer the half-life, the less frequent the dosage regimen.
The half-life of Anavar has two stages of release; one hour during the first phase, and up to nine hours for the second phase.
At any dosage and half-life based on dosage, Anavar is known to increase the synthesis of proteins, which aids muscle growth and maintenance.
Knowledge of Anavar half-life is important when developing a cycle of use. Let’s say you’re interested in Anavar and want to cycle for either bulking or cutting phases.
Anavar half-life will determine how often you take the drug.
Be aware that Anavar is not typically used in bulking cycles, as it doesn’t promote impressive muscle mass gains without venturing into high doses and combinations with other steroids.
Anavar is effective, however, in cutting or dieting phases.
General dosage recommendations for men in regard to Anavar half-life are:
- 50 mg daily for 2 weeks on/2 weeks off and used for no longer than 6 weeks
- Anavar for 6 weeks, off for 3 to 4 weeks, then on again for 6 weeks
General dosage recommendations for women:
- 10 mg to 20 mg daily for 6 weeks
- Rest for 2 to 3 weeks before starting another cycle
If the suggested dosage contributes to any unexpected and/or annoying side effects, lowering the dosage is recommended. Resist the temptation to increase dosage for faster results.
Depending on goals, some bodybuilders take up to 80 mg daily of Anavar to maintain muscle mass gains during the dieting phases.
However, it is recommended that no one go over 100 mg daily in order to reduce the potential for side effects or adverse reactions.
Regardless of dosage half-life, be aware that Anavar (oxandrolone) can contribute to a number of side effects. The more drugs you combine with Anavar, the greater the risk.
Though Anavar is known to resist aromatization or conversion from testosterone and estrogen, side effects are individualized.
In addition to possible liver damage and toxicity, again depending on dosage, men are at risk for:
- Testicular atrophy (shrinking testicles)
- Prostatic hypertrophy (enlargement of the prostate)
- Priapism (long-lasting, frequent, and often painful erections)
Women may experience virilization or masculine-type effects including:
- a deeper voice
- smaller breasts
- an enlarged clitoris (often irreversible)
- growth of hair on the face or body (hirsutism, also potentially irreversible)
Serious side effects for both men and women can involve the central nervous system and include:
- Changes in behavior
Before taking any anabolic androgenic steroid, know how it works, its potency, and its safe dosage.
Before using Anavar/oxandrolone, be aware of Anavar’s half-life to help you determine safe to use, maximize benefits, and reduce the risk of side effects
- Freriks K. Long-term effects of oxandrolone treatment in childhood on neurocognition, quality of life and social-emotional functioning in young adults with Turner syndrome. Horm Behav. 2015 Mar.
- Bassi F. Oxandrolone in constitutional delay of growth: analysis of the growth patterns up to final stature. J Endocrinol Invest. 1993 Feb.
- Real DS. Oxandrolone is used in adult burn patients. Systematic review and meta-analysis. Acta Cir Bras. 2014.
- Fenichel G. A beneficial effect of oxandrolone in the treatment of Duchenne muscular dystrophy: a pilot study. Neurology. 1997 May.
- Bauman WA. The effect of oxandrolone on the healing of chronic pressure ulcers in persons with spinal cord injury: a randomized trial. Ann Intern Med. 2013 May 21.
- Gauglitz GG. Burns: where are we standing with propranolol, oxandrolone, recombinant human growth hormone, and the new incretin analogs? Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2011 Mar.
- Segal DM. Oxandrolone, used for the treatment of wasting disease in HIV-1-infected patients, does not diminish the antiviral activity of deoxynucleoside analogs in lymphocyte and macrophage cell cultures. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr Hum Retrovirol. 1999 Mar 1.
- Papadimitriou A. The anabolic steroid oxandrolone increases muscle mass in prepubertal boys with a constitutional delay of growth. J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab. 2001 Jun.