One of the most popular is Anavar, otherwise known as oxandrolone. How do Anavar benefits for physique enhancement, muscular mass and strength, and overall body composition differ from any other anabolic-androgenic steroid?
Choosing an anabolic-androgenic steroid for some may involve some trial and error.
Preferences, results, and potential side effects must also way into making a choice. Click here to visit our recommended supplier.
Because of the prevalence and similar characteristics of anabolic-androgenic steroids, it’s often easy to confuse them as well as their properties and characteristics.
As a synthetic or laboratory developed anabolic-androgenic steroid, Anavar is available in tablet (oral) form.
This steroid offers both anabolic or tissue building as well as androgenic or male characteristic properties that are in many ways similar to body-produced (endogenous) testosterone.
Anavar is known by many other names, but to be certain you’re getting the right drug, double-check its molecular formula: C19H30O3 before purchasing.
Anavar, like other anabolic-androgenic steroids, is a prescription-only drug. Purchasing without a prescription can contribute to legal ramifications.
Any bodybuilder worth his/her salt also knows that the use of anabolic-androgenic steroids or other performance-enhancing drugs is banned by the World Anti-Doping Agency and sports organizations around the world.
Anavar is no longer prescribe for use by humans in the United States, according to the “Orange Book” published by the Food and Drug Administration.
Available in tablet form in 2.5 mg, 5 mg, to 10 mg tablets, oxandrolone is classified as an endocrine-metabolic agent that was originally designed to promote weight gain in individuals recovering from surgeries, body trauma, and chronic conditions.
Anavar is known to increase anabolic (tissue-building) properties as well as accelerate the synthesis of protein.
Its main functions include its ability to stimulate interactions with androgen receptors in specific “target” tissues or cellular structures in the body.
This ability is believed to have a positive effect and influence on the proliferation of cellular structures, including muscle cells that in turn influence the growth of muscle.
Muscle growth is one of the more commonly known Anavar benefits, although it also has the potential to help bodybuilders retain muscle mass gains during the off-season or in between cycles.
Manufactured from dihydrotestosterone, which the body converts in small amounts from testosterone, it has relatively potent anabolic properties but lowers estrogenic and progestational properties.
Individuals interested in taking Anavar should be aware of the difference between a medical dosage and dosages recommended by bodybuilding websites.
In medical situations, Anavar/oxandrolone was recommended in a dosage range of 5 mg to 10 mg daily. An athlete or bodybuilder averages 15 mg to 25 mg a day.
This doesn’t seem like a high dosage to most individuals, but Anavar is frequently stacked or combined with other drugs such as testosterone for accelerated benefits.
When combined with testosterone, it’s often suggested that dosage range 200 mg up to 400 mg daily.
It stands to reason that the higher the dosage and mixture of drugs, the potential risk for side effects increase.
In order to reduce the potential for estrogenic or progestational side effects, Anavar and testosterone usage is also combined with drugs that inhibit (to varying degrees) the potential for estrogenic effects such as Clomid, Nolvadex, and Letrozole.
Anavar isn’t known for its ability to convert testosterone into estrogen (known as aromatization) so the use of anti-estrogenic drugs is not very common, at least with Anavar.
Any drugs used alone or in combination with others that affect hormone levels can increase imbalances and therefore domino-like reactions of metabolic, cellular, and organ functions in the body.
While Anavar benefits are well known, the drug is also known to cause a number of side effects.
Individuals can react differently to the drug depending on dosage, dosage frequency, and other considerations including weight, age, height, health status, and so forth.
A number of recent medical journal articles have reported detrimental and long-term side effects and potential organ damage caused by the use of synthetic anabolic-androgenic steroids.
Some of those side effects include encephalopathy, psychological issues that include negative behaviors, neurotoxicity, and more.
When considering the use of Anavar, always weigh the risks as opposed to benefits. Bodybuilders often underestimate the potential dangers associated with anabolic steroids.
They tend to scoff at the warnings, believing that if they don’t abuse the drugs, and if they follow recommendations provided by other bodybuilders, they’ll be okay. This isn’t always true.
The potential for Anavar benefits may be tempting for many, but others are turning to steroid alternatives that produce many of the same benefits as prescription strength steroids.
Even though the benefits associated with Anavar can be impressive for some, body composition, age, and overall health can easily negate Anavar benefits.
- Gervasio JM, Dickerson RN, Swearingen J, Yates ME, Yuen C, Fabian TC, Croce MA, Brown RO.Oxandrolone in trauma patients.Pharmacotherapy. 2000 Nov;20(11):1328-34.
- Fenichel GM, Griggs RC, Kissel J, Kramer TI, Mendell JR, Moxley RT, Pestronk A, Sheng K, Florence J, King WM, Pandya S, Robison VD, Wang H.A randomized efficacy and safety trial of oxandrolone in the treatment of Duchenne dystrophy.Neurology. 2001 Apr 24;56(8):1075-9.
- Mendenhall CL, Moritz TE, Roselle GA, Morgan TR, Nemchausky BA, Tamburro CH, Schiff ER, McClain CJ, Marsano LS, Allen JI, et al.A study of oral nutritional support with oxandrolone in malnourished patients with alcoholic hepatitis: results of a Department of Veterans Affairs cooperative study.Hepatology. 1993 Apr;17(4):564-76.
- Gullett NP, Hebbar G, Ziegler TR.Update on clinical trials of growth factors and anabolic steroids in cachexia and wasting.Am J Clin Nutr. 2010 Apr;91(4):1143S-1147S. doi: 10.3945/ajcn.2010.28608E. Epub 2010 Feb 17. Review.
- Cochran A, Thuet W, Holt B, Faraklas I, Smout RJ, Horn SD.The impact of oxandrolone on length of stay following major burn injury: a clinical practice evaluation.Burns. 2013 Nov;39(7):1374-9. doi: 10.1016/j.burns.2013.04.002. Epub 2013 May 8.
- Rosenfeld RG, Frane J, Attie KM, Brasel JA, Burstein S, Cara JF, Chernausek S, Gotlin RW, Kuntze J, Lippe BM, et al.Six-year results of a randomized, prospective trial of human growth hormone and oxandrolone in Turner syndrome.J Pediatr. 1992 Jul;121(1):49-55.